DUI Resources: Article Library

Driving Under the Influence (DUI), Driving While Intoxicated (DWI).

If you or someone you know have been charged a Driving Under the Influence (DUI), or Driving While Intoxicated (DWI), you are probably confused about what steps to take next like:

  • Will I lose my driver license?
  • Is there a way to fight a drunk driving charge?
  • Will I have to go to jail for a DUI?
  • What Will happen to my auto insurance?
  • What happens if I don’t show up in Court?
  • Do I really need a lawyer or can I just show up in court on my own and plea guilty?

The consequences of a drunk driving charge differ from state to state. These changes from can be influenced by your age, blood alcohol concentration (BAC) and whether you have been arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs in the past.

Should you hire a DUI defense attorney to represent you in DMV and in criminal court? This really depends on your financial and your personal situation. You may want to hire a lawyer if you are confused or don’t understand your legal rights or your state’s laws. You may not know what to do or what penalties you could face. You could face harsher penalties without a lawyer to represent you in court.

Read ›› ›› "Do I Need A DUI Lawyer"

What can my lawyer do for me? Your attorney will assess your situation, some lawyers even offer a free case evaluation. Your lawyer will help you understand what you are up against with the DMV case and the criminal charges.

Your lawyer will also explain the consequences. DUI defense attorney will be able to explain your state’s specific penalties for a drunk driving charge. And they will also help you manage the process by dealing with your state’s DMV case. Attorney will represent you in criminal court, and will be able to defend you and perhaps lessen or ultimately have your charges dismissed.

What about my auto insurance? All 50 states and the District of Columbia have per se laws defining it as a crime to drive with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) at or above a proscribed level, 0.08 percent.

Auto insurance companies are often reluctant to serve DUI and DWI offenders or High Risk clients. Filing SR22 insurance forms can also be a difficult task.

Read ›› ›› "How a DUI Conviction Affects Your Car Insurance".

Typically, your rates will go up, sometimes substantially, or, insurance company will simply cancel your policy. If your insurance company raises your premiums but keeps you as an insured, you will likely be labeled a “high-risk driver.” Most states require the insurance company to provide the state motor vehicle agency (DMV, MVD) with an SR-22 Proof of Insurance Certificate, which removes your license suspension by providing the state with proof that you are insured. Not all insurance companies offer SR-22 policies. So your policy may be non-renewed or cancelled simply because the company can no longer provide insurance for you. In some states, insurers can’t cut you off in the middle of the policy term, so be sure to check on the laws where you live. Your lawyer will also be able to explain the consequences with your auto insurance. Take a free consultation with an attorney to discuss the the issues with your auto insurance.

What happens if I don’t show up in Court? The possible punishments for drinking and driving or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs include fines, driver license suspension, alcohol education programs, possible jail time, mandatory use of ignition interlock devices and, in some states, special license plates.

Do I really need a lawyer or can I just show up in court on my own and plea guilty? The penalties for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs can be serious, and have a lifelong financial and personal impact. A criminal defense attorney who specializes in DUI or DWI defense can evaluate each case and devise a strategy that will result in the best possible outcome for anyone accused of drinking and driving.

How will I know that the lawyer I’ve chosen to defend me is the right lawyer for my DUI defense? A criminal defense attorney can assist with every detail after a DUI arrest, finding a reputable bail bond firm, requesting a DMV hearing to protect the driver's license, and fighting for the driver's rights in the criminal court system.

DUI Defense Attorney

Sponsored Link

California Criminal Defense Attorney Edward Shkolnikov
DUI & DMV Defense. Free Consultation - (310) 860-5690

| Advertising - Email: Info@TroubleWithDUI.com | Trouble with DUI |